If you are considering getting orthodontics, there are a few options available. Firstly, there are conventional braces using brackets and wires to move the teeth, or you could consider Invisalign. Invisalign is almost invisible. It is a series of clear plastic aligners; they look like clear thin plastic mouthguards.
Advantages of Invisalign
1) They are almost invisible, so are great for adults who don’t want to have visible braces.
2) It is easier to clean with Invisalign as you just remove the aligners and clean as normal.
3) They are not as big as traditional braces, so you get less rubbing and scratching of the gums and cheeks.
4) They are less tender on your teeth because they move the teeth a bit slower than fixed braces.
Advantages of conventional braces
1) You don’t have to remove them to eat. With Invisalign, you have to remove the aligners to eat. If this isn’t an option then maybe conventional braces are for you.
2) Not so patient reliant- if you have an unmotivated teenager they may not wear their Invisalign aligners for long enough, with braces this isn’t an option.
3) They can fix your bite better. Braces are quicker to fix an incorrect bite than Invisalign.
We find in our surgery that most of the time teenagers are better suited to fixed braces and adults are happier with Invisalign. We always go through the different options with you, however.
For more information visit www.oceanbreezedental.com.au. You can book a consultation to discuss your options with one of out dentists by ringing- 5255 2584, or you can book online.